On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 01:13:56AM +0100, Sam Vilain wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 21:11, Tom Hukins wrote;
>
>   > Also, I suspect the case for bzip2 becomes stronger in the future.
>   > Assume Moore's Law continues to hold for CPU speed increase.  Disk
>   > and
>
> This argument is irrelevant in general, because the size of files to
> be compressed in general also increases with Moore's law.

I don't understand how this changes anything.  If CPU increases
outstrip bandwidth increases, CPU intensive compression/decompression
becomes more appropriate compared to bandwidth intensive compression.

It's already been mentioned that bzip2 performs better on large files
than on small files, so if anything I would expect larger file sizes
to favour bzip2.

Tom