On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 10:55:13AM +0200, Philip Newton wrote:

>I can well imagine that the availability of Info-ZIP may have been part
>of this; another part is probably the advent of Win95 and WinZIP, which
>brought compression to the pointy-clicky masses. (ARJ and PKZIP had
>both been 16-bit command-line DOS programs, though there was third-pary
>software called ARJMENU which gave you a text-mode full-screen
>interface to ARJ, and I think PKZIP later came up with a 32-bit
>graphical version of their software.)

Yup, but it was more expensive than WinZIP (which of course was based on
Info-ZIP) and nagged the user more about registration. ARJ never went
graphical at all AFAIK, and neither did JAR.

>I think it stood a decent chance at "featureful" if not "universal"; it
>certainly had a ton of features, which got more and more with each
>version.

It won on "featureful", but that wasn't enough to get it used.

>Compression was roughly the same, but ARJ was the first of the two to
>have multi-volume archives, for example, or "backup" archives storing
>multiple versions of the same file (it retrieved the latest version by
>default but you could ask for any older version as well). I think that
>by count of features, ARJ was probably more successful.

And of course it was tested a bit more thoroughly before it was
released. Anyone remember PKZip 2.04e? The (plain-text) bug list was
longer than the executable...

>No idea what ARJ is doing these days. They still seem to be around as a
>company (and have a better format called JAR, apparently), but I
>haven't seen an ARJ archive in many a day. I doubt they have many
>sales.

JAR was available in 1996 or so, I think. I still have copies of most of
the archivers and compressors I was playing with in those days... anyone
remember UC2? HA? SAR? ACB?

Roger