On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 06:44:02PM +0100, Phil Lanch wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:55:14PM -0400, David H. Adler wrote:
> > Frankly, I think comparing those shows to buffy is misguided.  It's sort
> > of like trying to compare 8 1/2 to the Philadelphia Story.  Ok, maybe
> > not quite *that* extreme.
>
> well, i'd prefer to watch Hepburn & Grant in _Bringing Up Baby_; and i
> think Stewart is better when he's not *just* being nice (it's more
> interesting if there are complications) - especially in _The Man from
> Laramie_, also _Vertigo_.  whereas 8½ is clearly Fellini's best film.
> so 8½ is better.

Of course, by that reasoning, Night of the Ghouls is better, as it's Ed
Wood's best film. :-)

I'll admit to Bringing Up Baby being better than Philadelphia Story, but
I still think there's a disconnect there, as they're very different
films, albeit less so than my original comparison.

In any case, my point was that there are things that are sufficiently
different that to call one "better" than the other isn't necessarily a
reasonable thing.  I'm quite sure that a whole lot of people do *not*
think think 8 1/2 is good at all.  Although they would be *wrong* :-),
we're walking through the valley of personal preference more than
anything else at that point.

dha
--
David H. Adler - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/