On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 04:09:17PM +0200, Robin Berjon wrote:
> Richard Clamp wrote:
> >On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 02:06:36PM +0100, Mark Fowler wrote:
> >>Dude, this is London.pm.  I think you want SanFrancisco.pm.
> >
> >Are you sure?  Remember how the typical hotel conversation goes with a
> >local?
> >
> >Tourist:  Say, where would I find a hotel here.
> >{flat,house,elephant}
>
> My thoughts exactly, I couldn't for the life of me recommend a hotel in
> Paris :) You're much better off asking a fairly large, friendly, and
> beerlubbin non-local crowd.

San Francisco is definitely a city you can enjoy without using
you car all the time.

Disclaimer: I have not been there since 1992. My favorite place
was North Beach, not far from Chinatown. In fact I enjoyed a lot
Grant Street that spans both places. Lots of cafes and good
italian restaurants. After spending some time at City Light, an
old bookstore (http://www.citylights.com/), I liked very much to
walk up the hill from there to the place where the the Coit Tower
is (never went in: there is a very good vista
of the city and the bay form the place itself) and down in a very
scenic, greend and intimate pedestrian allay (partly wooden
stairs) to the Pier 23 Bar/Restaurant with live music (my
favorite day was Thursday carabean music). The most direct path
to Pier 23 was not possible due to a land slide but you can
handle an extra-walk. Pier 23 is a small place, not to be
confused with Fisherman Wharf that is a tourist magnet.

http://www.sfstation.com/bars/pier23/

enough to fill an evening, and certainly places enjoyed by
european people.

--
 stef