On 21 Aug 2009, at 17:27, James Laver wrote:
My flat is a tip, my desk is atrocious and my crate of paperwork
(unsorted of course) is getting out of control.

The shredder is your friend. Usually about 50-70% of any pile of paperwork that's been ignored for a while is envelopes, bill-stuffers, junk mail, and stuff that's now out of date and worthless.

[...]
Does anyone else have experience of doing something like this, have
suggestions on a better way of doing it, etc.?

http://getitdone.quickanddirtytips.com/, and specifically
http://getitdone.quickanddirtytips.com/getitdone-filing.aspx

Also, bulk scanning, is there somewhere I can outsource this to? Any
students want to provide cheap labour etc.?

Digitisation is yak-shaving. Put such silly ideas away.