It’s very clear that this is inadequate.

It's not so clear to me, sorry.
Does anyone have an example (link or jpg) of a (sensible) topology
that would not work with multiple levels of hierarchy, but works
nicely/better with area-proxies (or FRs) ? Just curious.

The structure of legacy
IS-IS areas effectively precludes a scalable network for using lower
levels for transit. This constrains ISPs to ‘cauliflower’ topology
where you have L1 on the outside, L2 just inside of L1, L3 inside of
L2, etc.

I understand. L1-8 forces a hierarchical network designs.
But even if one would have the tools to design a non-hierarchical
network, that doesn't mean one should do so. :-)

We already see networks who are unwilling to use the two levels that
we have today due to this constraint.

I think L1-8 levels would be a good starting principle for designing large networks.
If there are spots in the network where the hierarchical constraints
are a problem in the real world, indeed it would be nice to have tools
like area-proxies in the tool-set, to help solve those problems.

I would like to have both tools.
I think you do too (as you are author of both drafts).

henk.