Chris -

I don’t mean to argue the point. If you are not actually inviting
discussion...OK.

But since you say:

" After some experience with the guidance, we could then choose to make it
or some variation, the policy if that was still needed."

I will provide you with this datapoint.

I did (an admittedly casual) review of such fields in all TLVs defined during
the existence of the IS-IS/LSR WGs - which covers over 20 years. I did not find
a single occurrence where the flags field ever got extended.
So I do not know why we should expect that experience during the next 20 years
will be significantly different. This, to me, argues that Tony's proposal is
better.

Anyways, I am done...thanx for listening.

   Les