Hi Ketan,

> Why is the Generic Metric type in ISIS limited to 3 byte size? OSPF allows 4
> byte size and so why not the same for ISIS? Elsewhere in the document, I do
> see MAX METRIC being referred to as 4,261,412,864.
>

> Because I’m a lazy sod.
>
> It’s far easier to detect metric overflow on three byte values than four byte
> values. True, four byte is not impossible, but it’s just quick and easy with
> three byte values.  Adding a fourth byte would add range to the metric space,
> but in practice, this seemed like it was not really relevant. Most areas are
> not a very high diameter and the need for detailed metric distinctions has
> not been that high.  Thus, we went with a 3 byte metric in RFC 5305 (sec 3.7)
> and that seems to work.
> [KT] The Generic Metric is by definition something that will get extended in
> the future and we don’t know what use-cases might arise. It doesn’t seem
> right to follow in the steps of an administratively assigned metric type like
> the TE metric. Therefore, I suggest to make it variable.

Thank you for the suggestion. I don’t think anyone has suggested a variable
length metric before.  A variable length metric is difficult to implement as if
the length exceeds your processors word size, you need to resort to long
integer software emulation packages. These are a huge performance penalty.

> [KT] Regarding metric overflow, I think it would be better to leave it to
> implementations on how to deal with it. A guidance similar to below (from
> draft-ietf-lsr-flex-algo) would help handle the condition in a manner that
> does not cause interop issues. Theoretically, it is something that is
> independent of the size of the metric.
>
>    During the route computation, it is possible for the Flex-Algorithm
>    specific metric to exceed the maximum value that can be stored in an
>    unsigned 32-bit variable.  In such scenarios, the value MUST be
>    considered to be of value 4,294,967,295 during the computation and
>    advertised as such.

In fact, we are not specifying how implementations deal with it.

> For the Max B/w Link attribute and its comparison with the FAD b/w
> constraints, I see the reference to ASLA. While in OSPF max-bandwidth is not
> allowed in ASLA - https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8920#section-7
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8920#section-7>, in case of ISIS
> also, it is not really appropriate for use within ASLA
> -https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8919#section-4.2.1
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8919#section-4.2.1>?
>

> I’m sorry, I don’t understand this comment.
> [KT] In
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-hegde-lsr-flex-algo-bw-con-02#section-3.2.1
>
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-hegde-lsr-flex-algo-bw-con-02#section-3.2.1>
>
> The Maximum Link Bandwidth as advertised by the sub-sub-
>    TLV 23 of ASLA [RFC 8920 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8920>]
> MUST be compared against the Minimum
>    bandwidth advertised in FAEMB sub-TLV.
>
> And in the https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8920#section-7
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8920#section-7>
>
> Maximum link bandwidth is an application-independent attribute of the
>    link that is defined in [RFC3630
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc3630>].  Because it is an
> application-
>    independent attribute, it MUST NOT be advertised in the ASLA sub-TLV.
>
> Somewhat similar for ISIS as well.

I’m sorry, I’m still not understanding your comment. Are you objecting because
we are expecting TLV 23 in ASLA?  I believe that FlexAlgo has already requested
this, updating the other two protocols.

> Document should cover the FAPM aspects for the Generic Metric and especially
> the Bandwidth metric.
>

> Nor this one.
> [KT] Generic Metric is used for the links. When we get to the computation of
> inter-area or external routes, we will need to get into FAPM. The draft at a
> minimum should discuss the applicability of the Generic Metric and its use as
> FAPM. Now, if we do make the Generic Metric size variable (as suggested
> above), then we will likely need a new TLV for a variable size FAPM
> equivalent?

We would need a new TLV regardless of the metric size as the FAPM TLV only
carries the default metric. We are not proposing that TLV at this time. That’s
future work.

Tony