Hi Robert,

From: Lsr <lsr-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net>
Date: Friday, October 15, 2021 at 3:17 PM
To: Enke Chen <enc...@paloaltonetworks.com>
Cc: lsr <lsr@ietf.org>, Tony Li <tony...@tony.li>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] Prefix Unreachable Announcement and IS-IS and OSPF Extension
for Event Notification

Hi Enke,

Yes each summarization/aggregation results in loss of some granular information
for the benefit of scaling the overall system.

The current discussion does not state that networks must use summarization but
actually assumes that one has a hierarchical underlay spanning large geography
(maybe entire planet) with lots of service edges. Maybe 1K, 10K .. maybe more
when it comes to 5G Edges.

10K loopbacks advertised as summaries should be nothing for a will-tuned OSPF
implementation. Most implementations (at least the ones I’ve worked on) support
overlapping range configuration so you can have more specific summaries that
are advertised. A nice additional configuration tool would be to have a range
which would not result in a summary but routes falling in the range would just
be advertised rather than aggregated. This would ease the configuration
overhead as long network administrators had the forethought to put these
loopback into a subset of the prefixes allocated to a given area.

Then recommendation to say - pls go and flood all of those with leaking /32 or
/128 everywhere seems not that great.

But again I think service recovery should be done at service level as it is
today in different failure scenarios.

Thx,
R.

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 8:25 PM Enke Chen