Hi Enke

Because MED is non transitive it is only propagated to adjacent AS, so only
in unique situations where the  path attribute does not need to be
propagated multiple hops is MED utilized.

I was thinking of AS level  not prefix level symmetry.

So for AS level symmetry exporting IGP metric info BGP MED will yield non
deterministic results.  For AS level symmetry prepending is the best option
especially and required for path attribute transitivity.

There are many ways to achieve symmetry and it all depends on the use case
and what you are trying to accomplish.

I agree for prefix level symmetry if load balancing is desired between
multiple exit points only then is export of IGP metric as MED is desired.
The routing can become chaotic for NOC to troubleshoot as some routes may
take one exit point versus another dynamically and maybe hard for the NOC
to follow.

Kind Regards

Gyan

<http://www.verizon.com/>