+1

Cheers,

Jeff

From: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2022 9:05 AM
To: ; lsr@ietf.org; shraddha
Subject: Re: [Lsr] Comments ondraft-gong-lsr-exclusive-link-for-flex-algo

Liyan –

You agree that there is an existing way to prune links from the IGP SPF.

Still, you insist that an extension that requires ALL routers – whether they support flex algo or not – to utilize a new advertisement when computing algo 0 SPF is necessary.

Your rationale for this is that this allows you to use IGP Metric for flex algo in cases where the IGP metric would have been set to maximum.

But we already have the ability to define metrics specific to flex algo – and this is greatly enhanced by the generic metric defined in https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lsr-flex-algo-bw-con/

Requiring a non backwards compatible extension to be used in base protocol operation in order to support a new feature is exactly what we MUST NOT do when introducing protocol extensions.

My opinion is unchanged – this is a bad idea – and completely unnecessary.

   Les