Hi Ketan,

Thanks for the analysis. A few comments below.

> On Oct 6, 2022, at 8:30 AM, Ketan Talaulikar <ketant.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi John/Lars,
>
> I hope this topic can be discussed in the upcoming telechat to conclude on
> the option to be adopted.
>
> To make it easier, let me provide a pointer to the text for each inline
> below. I am not sure that I understand option 3 very well.
>

> On Wed, Oct 5, 2022 at 9:42 PM John Scudder <j...@juniper.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> (To keep everyone in the loop since you weren’t all on the cc of the IANA
> review email.)
>
> Amanda Baber at IANA pointed out that the added paragraph is a problem for
> IANA since it’s too imprecise for IANA to carry out. The options come down to:
>
> 1. Revisit the WG decision, and add a field to the registry for the “Y/N”
> annotations that relate to this spec.
>
> KT> This was
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-lsr-ospf-l2bundles-05#section-3
>
>    IANA is requested to introduce a column "Applicability to L2 Bundle
>    Member TLV" in the registry tables for the "OSPFv2 Extended Link TLV
>    Sub-TLVs" registry with the initial updates (Y/N) against allocations
>    as indicated in Figure 2.  Similarly, IANA is requested to introduce
>    a column "Applicability to L2 Bundle Member TLV" in the registry
>    tables for the "OSPFv3 Extended LSA Sub-TLVs" registry with the
>    initial updates (Y/N/X) against allocations as indicated in Figure 3.
>    Further allocations from these two registries are expected to
>    indicate the applicability of the introduced sub-TLV to the L2 Bundle
>    Member TLV that would get updated in these registries.

Thanks. As mentioned earlier, this is my preferred option — the more so after
looking through your analysis. I think all the gyrations after version 05 have
demonstrated amply that “perfect is the enemy of good”.

> 2. Change the policy to something like "IETF Review (Additional Expert Review
> Required) or IESG Approval" and include advice to the experts in the
> document. (Thanks to Amanda for this suggestion.)
>
> KT> This is a "quick" tweak on
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-lsr-ospf-l2bundles-08#section-4
>  as follows:
>
>    This document updates the guidance to IANA for further allocations
>    from the "OSPFv2 Extended Link TLV Sub-TLVs" and the "OSPFv3 Extended
>    LSA Sub-TLVs" registries to "IETF Review (Additional Expert Review
>
>    Required)" [RFC8126] and requests the addition of this document
>    as a reference to those registries.  It requires that the designated
>
>    expert appointed by IESG verify that any document
>    requesting allocation of code point from these two registries needs
>    to specify the applicability of the introduced sub-TLV to the L2
>    Bundle Member TLV in a manner similar to Figure 2 and Figure 3 that
>    cover existing allocations up to the point of publication of this
>    document.

That looks right. As previously mentioned I don’t see benefit to choosing this
option instead of (1) — all cost, no additional benefit.

> 3. Move the “it requires” text out of the IANA considerations and into a more
> appropriate section, and don’t try to put a gatekeeper into the registry
> (yet).
>
> KT> I am not sure what this option involves. Putting this document as a
> reference but no IANA actions or gatekeeper seems odd to me. Isn't this
> option - "do nothing" - which is the state in which this draft came out of
> the WG and AD review?

Yes indeed, I guess I only mentioned it for completeness. It would resolve
IANA’s concerns but wouldn’t satisfy Lars’s DISCUSS, so I think we can take
this off the table.

—John