Les, whatever you try to suggest here, you slide into direction of trying
to guarantee common knowledge closure (that's the technical term for what
you try) and based on distributed systems theory you end up ultimately with
virtual clock synchronization of the network in some form if you _really_
want to solve the problem rather than "hey, my stuff may work 2 hops away
rather than 1 hop so it's much better and let's not talk about 3 hops"
(look up at Lampert's clock vectors/matrices for proper theoretical
underpinnings of such undertakings if you'd like to take this discussion
further) and this will slow things to a crawl. Worse, you will discover
pretty soon that going down this path you will have to learn consistent
cuts and basically transaction scheduling most likley ;-)

IGPs are just IGPs, i.e. they do guarantee "eventual consistency" (in
proper technical terms epsilon consistency) and that makes them fast and
reacting fast to failures and that's the base of their success. This also
means you have transients and this here is just one, relatively simple fix
of a local transient and that's about the best you can do to preserve the
desirable properties (i.e. fastest possible eventual consistency with
maximum resiliency [that's the CAP paradigm part which is another way to
see IGPs as _AP type of solution]).

Without this kind of underlying understanding/language we are talking about
"me likes my stuff with me bells and whistles better than ye' thing" and
it's going in circles AFAIS.

so I'm with acee here in short (and I left the fact out that as I say,
flavor of this stuff is deployed since long time and works fine at any
scale in our experience and it's damn' simple to implement comparatively
speaking and doesn't need any big rollouts on the network] compared to all
the signalling machinery suggested)

-- tony