I managed to get this working well, and thought I'd share some pointers
to others.  This is assuming you're using the ltspsound package on the
contribs section.  VMWare doesn't like the fake sound.

In order to gt a thin client using sound, the LD_PRELOAD= and
AUDIOSERVER lines need to go into /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession.
Unfortuntly, this then breaks local X servers running on the console as
I have it copying the $DISPLAY variable, but ".0" is not a valid audio
port.  I therefore made a different Xsession for local X servers.

I have appended Xsession and xdm-config so you can see what's what.
I'm using Mandrake 8.0

--
Rob Davis,  at home, on the Linux Box...

! $XConsortium: xdm-conf.cpp /main/3 1996/01/15 15:17:26 gildea $
DisplayManager.errorLogFile:    /var/log/xdm-error.log
DisplayManager.pidFile:         /var/run/xdm.pid
DisplayManager.keyFile:         /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-keys
DisplayManager.servers:         /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers
DisplayManager.accessFile:      /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess
! All displays should use authorization, but we cannot be sure
! X terminals will be configured that way, so by default
! use authorization only for local displays :0, :1, etc.
DisplayManager._0.authorize:    true
DisplayManager._1.authorize:    true
! The following three resources set up display :0 as the console.
DisplayManager.*.setup: /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
DisplayManager._0.startup:      /etc/X11/xdm/GiveConsole
DisplayManager._0.reset:        /etc/X11/xdm/TakeConsole
!DisplayManager._0.startAttempts: 1
!
DisplayManager*resources:       /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources
DisplayManager._0.session:      /etc/X11/Xsession.oac
DisplayManager._1.session:      /etc/X11/Xsession.oac
DisplayManager._2.session:      /etc/X11/Xsession.oac
DisplayManager*session:         /etc/X11/Xsession
DisplayManager*authComplain:    false
#!/bin/bash -login

exec /etc/X11/Xsession $*

# Xsession ends here