* John N <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [011022 23:05]:
> > OK, first check in  /etc/xinet.d/
> > You should see a file named   tftp
>
> Yes, it exists
>
> > If not, you may have installed the tftp client, not the server.  Find
> > the Mdk8 rpms, and install the server:
> > tftp-server-0.17-4mdk.i586.rpm
> >
> > The tftp server (daemon) installs that tftp file in xinet.d.
> >
> > Look inside the tftp file and make sure it says
> >     disable         = no
> >
> > It probably also says
> >     server_args     = -s /tftpboot
>
> These are both there
>
> > This warns you that tftpd will begin chrooted, so all calls to tftpd
> > will need to leave out the /tftpboot/ part of the path.  Check your
> > /etc/dhcpd.conf  file to make sure this is so.
> >
> > Next, make sure that xinetd is running.  You can do that by typing
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd status
> > and it should tell you it is running.
>
> xinetd is running - but not tftp - same error messages
> I am really stumped

How are you determining that tftpd is not working?  The reason it is
being run by  xinetd  is that xinetd is kind of a super-server;  it
runs as a daemon process and only launches tftpd when it is needed.
That's why I said to check to see if xinetd is running, not tftpd.

I don't exactly know what Mandrake Control Panel does for starting and
stopping services ... but if it really is reporting whether tftpd is
running now, well that's right.  If it is supposed to be reporting
whether tftpd is enabled in xinetd, then something is wrong.

Have you tried booting from a diskless workstation?  How far does it
get?

--
Jan Wilson, SysAdmin     _/*];          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Corozal Junior College   |  |:'  corozal.com corozal.bz