* John N <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [011022 19:09]:
>    I hope that you do not mind me writing directly to you. I have a tftp
>    problem with Mandrake 8.0

OK, I cc'd this to the list in case someone has a more authoritative
answer  ;-)

>    I installed tftp from the RPM, but when I go to the Mandrake Control
>    Center, System |Services tftp is shown as "stopped". When I try to
>    start it I receive the error message "tftp: unrecognized service"
>
>    How do I get the tftp demon running?

OK, first check in  /etc/xinet.d/
You should see a file named   tftp

If not, you may have installed the tftp client, not the server.  Find
the Mdk8 rpms, and install the server:
tftp-server-0.17-4mdk.i586.rpm

The tftp server (daemon) installs that tftp file in xinet.d.

Look inside the tftp file and make sure it says
    disable         = no

It probably also says
    server_args     = -s /tftpboot

This warns you that tftpd will begin chrooted, so all calls to tftpd
will need to leave out the /tftpboot/ part of the path.  Check your
/etc/dhcpd.conf  file to make sure this is so.

Next, make sure that xinetd is running.  You can do that by typing
/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd status
and it should tell you it is running.

Hopefully by this time it will be working OK.

If you get a kernel loading on your diskless workstation, tftpd must
have been configured properly, if I understand it correctly.

--
Jan Wilson, SysAdmin     _/*];          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Corozal Junior College   |  |:'  corozal.com corozal.bz