Hugo,

I do not run KDE because of the amount of memory it requires for each session
and also I cannot lock down the desktop (don't know how at the moment).
Instead I use IceWM -- very light weight resource wise, and is compatable
with gtk (gnome) applications and many qt (KDE) applications.  IceWM is very
easy to configure and I am able to lock down the desktop how my customer
wants it.  It is more important to me that this environment be functional and
low maintenance than "friendly".

Two potential problems jump out at me - your 10Mb hub and the small amount of
ram in your clients.  Have you run test clients on your current hardware with
KDE?  I suggest at least a 10/100 hub, preferrably a 10/100 switch with
10/100Mb enet cards in your clients.  Enable NFS swap for the workstations
with 8MB of ram, but again your 10Mb hub could be a major bottleneck.  I
believe Jim put out a new kernel for 2.09pre4 to enable local swap, but I
have not tried it.  Try IceWM with your current hardware, you might be quite
pleased with the results.

Good luck,

Erick