Andy,

I had the same problem.  There are two solutions:

1.  Rebuild the kernel image
2.  Use PXE to boot

In the past I have gone the route of building kernels for special devices to
to boot ltsp (micro channel laptops) it's alot of work and unless your really
looking to learn that amount of detail I'd suggest PXE boot.  I just got it
working last night and it works well with the prebuilt kernels on my 905c
cards.  I'm also able to boot an mother board with an on board rtl8139 that
only has PXE support.  Here is a good how to that I followed:

http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/pxe.howto.html

If your DHCP server is already running 3.0 it should only take you an hour or
so to set it up.

Good luck.