On Tue, 2001-10-09 at 13:03, James Newlin wrote:
> Hello all.    Could someone please explain why we are getting "fh_verify:
> ltsroot/dev permission failure, acc=3, error=30".

The workstation is trying to change the permissions of /dev or a file in
/dev.  Most likely trying /dev/log (a socket) or /dev/printer.  Since /
and /dev are mounted read-only: permission denied.

>    We are using RedHat 7.1
> with LTSP 2.07 (we know old version, but it has worked well in past).  Above
> message outputs to /var/log/messages and server console.  Workstations are
> RTL8029 based using boot PROMs.   Server is 1GHz PIII.     Any ideas?

To fix, try any of the following:
* Setup klogd on the server to ignore these errors, or at least not send
  them to /dev/console.
* Figure out which application is trying to do that, and fix the application.
  (not always easy).
* Mount / as read-write (not always good).
* Get workstations to use devfs (so /dev is local, and read-write).
  I believe this is the default in 2.09.
* Make a ramdrive, create the device nodes, and mount that read-write on
  top of /dev (only if you know what this sentence means, and devfs is
  impossible).

IMHO, devfs is the right solution.  Its purpose in life is to fix
problems like having a read-only /dev.

Berend De Schouwer