Perhaps this is not the exact forum for this question, but it might be
relevant to someone who is trying for the same configuration as I.

I am counting on getting maximum 3D graphics performance out of my DC's.
Currently they use NVidia cards.  I've been successful in getting the
NVidia drivers to work, but not optimally.

glxinfo reports no direct rendering support (BTW, NVidia drivers do not
utilize DRI):

  display: :0.0 screen:0
  direct rendering: No
  server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
  server glx version string: 1.2

  etc...

/var/log/XFree86.0.log reports (among many other things) :

  (WW) NVIDIA(0): Failed to verify AGP usage

and 'cat /proc/nv/card0' reports :