So what I did do in order to get workstation sound and sound mixing to
work with XMMS and ltsp-3.0.0:

1) I did read this mailing list and found out about various bits and
pieces..

2) Downloaded ltsp_sound-0.1c-8.i386.rpm package from k12ltsp.org ftp as
it turned out that ltspsound-0.1b.tar.gz package found on LTSP
sourceforge page isn't updated to ltsp-3.0.0. This
ltsp_sound-0.1c-8.i386.rpm package seems not to be availible anymore
from k12ltsp.org. I still have this rpm package and it can be downloaded
from here: https://kingpool.pfm.ee/ltsp/ltsp_sound-0.1c-8.i386.rpm. It
also seems that there are differences between ltspsound-0.1c.tar.gz and
ltsp_sound-0.1c-8.i386.rpm package.

3) Installed the rpm.

4) Modified lts.conf, added "SOUND=Y" and "SMODULE=es1371.o" to
workstation config section as I use SB PCI 128 card (modprobe loads all
other dependent modules that are needed)

5) Launched XMMS wrapped by esddsp (type "esddsp -m xmms" at terminal)
and configured XMMS to use OSS as output. When selecting ESD for
output mixing is not working althou sound works.

Mixing almost works as it should with one exeption -  when I press next
button on XMMS or  fast forward/rewind it doesnt allow to change
volume-pan until I press some of these buttons again. Seems that XMMS
changes volume control to Master instead of PCM when I press these
buttons and switches again back to PCM control when I press buttons
again...hmm..bizarre.. (if anybody knows why is that happening - let us
all know!)
So if you configure XMMS to use OSS as output don't mark "Volume
controls Master instead PCM" in mixer TAB.

I used Mandrake-8.1, XMMS-1.2.5, LTSP-3.0.0 and IceWM 1.0.9