On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Andres Toomsalu wrote:

>The ltsp_sound-0.1c-8.i386.rpm IS still AVAILIBLE from k12ltsp.org..
>ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/distributions/ISO/K12LTSP-7.2/RPMS/

And I'm still working on it, in theory anyways. The last couple of
months have been pretty "exciting" for me.

Is anyone actively maintaining ltspsound? Solid sound support is high
on the wish-list for the schools I'm working with, I'd like to make
sure any changes I make get fed back.

>> So what I did do in order to get workstation sound and sound mixing to
>> work with XMMS and ltsp-3.0.0:
>>
>> 1) I did read this mailing list and found out about various bits and
>> pieces..
>>
>> 2) Downloaded ltsp_sound-0.1c-8.i386.rpm package from k12ltsp.org ftp
>> as it turned out that ltspsound-0.1b.tar.gz package found on LTSP
>> sourceforge page isn't updated to ltsp-3.0.0. This

ltspsound-0.1c is indeed on sourceforge, you just have to figure out
how to find it ;-)

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ltsp/ltspsound-0.1c.tgz

>> ltsp_sound-0.1c-8.i386.rpm package seems not to be availible anymore
>> from k12ltsp.org. I still have this rpm package and it can be
>> downloaded from here:
>> https://kingpool.pfm.ee/ltsp/ltsp_sound-0.1c-8.i386.rpm. It also seems
>> that there are differences between ltspsound-0.1c.tar.gz and
>> ltsp_sound-0.1c-8.i386.rpm package.

I started off with ltspsound-0.1c (linked above) and made a few changes/
additions.

I added support for esound, as you note below. I also made a few small
changes to ltspsound, such as using modprobe instead of insmod. In most
cases, this lets you use "SMODULE=es1371" rather than having to spell
out each and every module to load.

ltspsound automatically loads sound.o and soundcore.o, which appears to
break i810_audio.o module. I'm working on fixing that right now.

>> 3) Installed the rpm.
>>
>> 4) Modified lts.conf, added "SOUND=Y" and "SMODULE=es1371.o" to
>> workstation config section as I use SB PCI 128 card (modprobe loads
>> all other dependent modules that are needed)
>>
>> 5) Launched XMMS wrapped by esddsp (type "esddsp -m xmms" at terminal)
>> and configured XMMS to use OSS as output. When selecting ESD for
>> output mixing is not working althou sound works.
>>
>> Mixing almost works as it should with one exeption -  when I press
>> next button on XMMS or  fast forward/rewind it doesnt allow to change
>> volume-pan until I press some of these buttons again. Seems that XMMS
>> changes volume control to Master instead of PCM when I press these
>> buttons and switches again back to PCM control when I press buttons
>> again...hmm..bizarre.. (if anybody knows why is that happening - let
>> us all know!)
>> So if you configure XMMS to use OSS as output don't mark "Volume
>> controls Master instead PCM" in mixer TAB.
>>

>> I used Mandrake-8.1, XMMS-1.2.5, LTSP-3.0.0 and IceWM 1.0.9

Thanks, this is all useful to know!

-Eric