I put comments in appropriate places all below..

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Alex Perry wrote:

> From: mslicker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > I sure wish these NIC people would wake up and realize their
> > product would
> > be a hell of lot better geared toward business customers than as a
> > consumer device for which it couldn't possibly have much of a
> > market for.
>
> Yes.  I also mentioned it to them.  Maybe if enough people mention it,
> and then proceed to not buy the consumer version of the system,
> they might see the light sooner.  Sigh.

Yeah, they should remove the CD-ROM and the modem, switch the keyboard for
something more standard and put the savings into slightly better graphics.
I think I'll voice my complaint about this as well.  They have no idea
where their market actually is.

> Ideally, they'd change the flash contents to full EtherBoot and remove
> the CD drive, putting the $10 saving into a higher quality keyboard.
>
> From: mslicker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > I keep hearing that 3D over X isn't feasible, but I have no idea where
> > these people are coming from.  X has a very long history of
> > being used for
> > 3D rendering. [...]
> > Why do people say this is not feasible?  X isn't a bitmap
> > protocol, it's
> > more like postscript.
>
> I think it's for three reasons ...
>
> (1) For a long time, the default Linux install used Mesa.
> This runs on the server side and dumps bitmaps to the client.
> For a 768-1024 pixel display, about 2MB of data is transferred
> which is usable for static 3D presentation graphics but useless
> for interactive ... it's 2 seconds of 10bT and 1/4 sec of 100bT
> from after the rendering is done until the picture is visible.

Do Loki games tend to use Mesa or authentic OpenGL?  That's what really
matters for Computer Cafes.  Using a switch instead of a hub would likely
improve the performance to the point of being indistinguishable from being
run directly on the same machine--if OpenGL is used.  I'm thinking that
even full-screen video might be acceptible.. These are things I'd like to
experiment with when I get the chance.