From: Jason Bechtel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 7:33 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Jim McQuillan
Subject: Re: [Ltsp-discuss] DHCP question

> Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:44:39 +0100 (CET)
> From: Wolfgang Schweer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>You can change your entries in your dhcp.conf file for:
>>"default-lease-time"
>>and
>>"max-lease-time"
>>to a new and larger amount.
>
> having set a fixed address for a ws, you can grant infinite lease
> time with this entry:
>
> default-lease-time -1

Jim and LTSP list,

Should this be part of the automatic and/or documented DHCP settings
when configuring LTSP (default, everywhere)?

It seems like nothing is risked by giving infinite leases to fixed
address workstations...  The only question is, what happens when you
replace a network card in a station and want to reassign the IP address
to the new MAC address?  And the answer seems to be that you would need
to update the DHCP file anyway, and restart the DHCP server (or at least
get it to reread its conf file with some sort of signal).  My only
remaining concern (no way to test it myself here) is if this would be
enough to "forget" the infinite lease of that IP address to another MAC.
  Can anyone verify this?  It would be a great addition to the polish
and stability of LTSP.

Jason