Jim,

It should definitely be added to the documentation.  And I think it
should also be added to the the .example file.  But *how* should it be
added to the .example file?

If we add it commented out and with a note about the implications, then
we don't change the out-of-the-box behavior but we educate the
administrator as to their options.  If the goal is to create the best
out-of-the-box experience, however, then it should be *un*commented with
a note about the implications so that informed admins with their own
designs (like David) can remove it if need be.

As you say, "all we can do is supply an example file."  I just want to
make that example file the best it can be.  According to the DHCP 3.0
docs, under the "Lease Lengths" section, the following is valid:

             subnet 239.252.197.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
               range 239.252.197.10 239.252.197.107;
               default-lease-time 600;
               max-lease-time 7200;
             }

So, we can at least place it within a 'subnet' clause.  And as far as I
can tell, there is nothing preventing it from being a host-specific or
group-specific parameter either.  As long as it could be controlled to
arbitrary granularity, we could add it to the .example file in a rather
non-imposing way, like this:

group     {
     use-host-decl-names       on;
     default-lease-time        -1;  ## comment out if doing dynamic IP
                                    ## assignments
     option log-servers        x.x.x.x;

     host ws001 {

This way it only applies to the groups of LTSP workstations (not
globally) and it provides information on why you might not want to use it.

Jason