>>>I would also like to know how to get sound to work generally with
>>>ltsp. Is the best way to have a wrapper? Or to write a kernel
>>>module that does it? Is there already a wrapper?
>>Audio is pretty simple.  Pick ESD, NASD, or some other network audio
>>transposter,  run the daemon on the client, and load the wrapper into
>>LD_PRELOAD on the host.  Audio will go to the client.
>>Mixer control seems tougher,  and I haven't been able to get either ESD
>>or NASD to work correcly.  I can get a mixer to open without an error but
>>I can't really adjust any of the channels.
>What is the wrapper, then? Is it a program?

wrapper?  I think you are referring to the re-director.(?).   LD_PRELOAD
lists shared libraries that are loaded 'first and foremost'  and thus
intercept calls to functions.  libesddsp takes over the handling of
open,  if the opened device is /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, etc... then
libesddsp "fakes out" the open call and thus muxes and transports
anything read to / written from the audio devices.  A call to any other
file gets dropped to the standard glibc open.  At least that is how I
understand it.

>How does the above work? (Helps me when debugging)
>What are the pro et contra for nasd and esd?

esd
+ recognized by many GNOME apps and RealPlayer,  they support it
natively without need of a re-director,  which is a bit nicer.
- development seems to be stalled.
- The documentation is horrible, scant, and moldy.

nasd
+ known beyond the GNOME world,  possibly more cross platform
+ the developement project seems to still have a pulse
+ appears to be able to handle things beyond just audio.

Personally, I'd go with nasd,  I simply got esd working along time ago,
before I ever heard of nasd.  I will switch someday.