David,

90,000 file is huge!!

Still, ls should handle it.  Keep in mind that ls is going to
sort the entries.  It could be that ls has a really lousy sort
algorithm.

I't try running "top" while you do the ls on that directory, and
see if ls is chewing up massive amounts of cpu time.
I think if you let it go long enough, you will get some results
out of it.

Then, I'd consider a different way of storing all those files.
It really puts the system through a workout.  Adding a new
file is especially painful, because the system needs to
look at every single entry, to make sure the file doesn't
already exist.

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]