Hello all.
  On a more general note, I have a directory on my linux server which has
over 90,000 files.  when I do a dir | wc -l I receive a number of >46,000
(which I take to be >90,000 files since dir gives me 2 columns of file
names.

  However, I can't ls.  I have waited for up to 15 minutes.  Can ls not
handle the vast quantity of files in the directory?  Is there a way around
this 'ceiling'?

Thank you.
Dave

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential or legally privileged.
If you received this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you
prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information
contained herein.  Please inform us of the erroneous delivery by return
e-mail.

Thank you for your cooperation.