With such symptoms there are several possibilities but that would be
good if we could know a bit more about your configuration.

For example you might run  local cahed name server, band your dhcpd.conf
might turn on the "use-host-decl-names", but if for one reason or
another your client didn't pick up the address that he is supposed to
(an error in dhcpd.conf in the ethernet address ...) then your name
server got it wrong and your routing table doesn't route the packets
correctly ...

Anothre possibility is that you have ywo stations with the same IP
address, packets are routed to whatever station picks them up first, so
sometimes it reaches the rightful destination, and sometimes it reaches
the other station ..which discards the packet ...

there are so many possibilities, broadcast storm for example ...

so just say a bit more about your configuration, please ...

;-)

/Patrick