Phil,

you are correct, the X_MODE_0 parameter is ignored by
the Xvesa xserver, because the Xvesa Xserver doesn't use
the XF86Config file.

So, you can apply a quick fix to the /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.local
file.  Just search for 'Xvesa', and you should see a line that says:

      XOPTS="-shadow -mode 0x0117"

Change the 0x0117 to 0x0114 to get 800x600.

A more robust fix would be to change the setting of XOPTS
to something like this:

      case "${X_MODE_0}" in
          1280x1024)   XOPTS="-shadow -mode 0x011A"
                       ;;
          1024x768)    XOPTS="-shadow -mode 0x0117"
                       ;;
          800x600)     XOPTS="-shadow -mode 0x0114"
                       ;;
          640x480)     XOPTS="-shadow -mode 0x0111"
                       ;;
          *)           XOPTS="-shadow -mode 0x0117"
                       ;;
      esac

Hope that helps,

Jim McQuillan