-Hi, and thanks to Jim and David for suggestions

In the meantime I have installed K12ltsp on a server in our testroom at
work. Default installation, same procedure as I have tried at home. The
server at work: HP P2 500, 128Mb, Realtek 8139  - and client: IBM P2 amd
500, 128 Mb, realtek 8139...... and it worked out fine!! A nice
succes.....but back to my problems. By the way, it is remarkable, that
problems allways take up more space than success! Strange, that identical
installations gives different results

Jim suggested looking at iptables,ipchains and rpcinfo:

My iptables and ipchains:

[root@server root]# ipchains -L
Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
target     prot opt     source                destination           ports
ACCEPT     udp  ------  ns3.tele.dk          anywhere              domain ->
1025:65535
ACCEPT     udp  ------  ns3.inet.tele.dk     anywhere              domain ->
1025:65535
ACCEPT     tcp  -y----  anywhere             anywhere              any ->ssh
ACCEPT     udp  ------  anywhere             anywhere
bootps:bootpc ->   bootps:bootpc
ACCEPT     udp  ------  anywhere             anywhere
bootps:bootpc ->   bootps:bootpc
ACCEPT     all  ------  anywhere             anywhere              n/a
ACCEPT     all  ------  anywhere             anywhere              n/a
REJECT     tcp  -y----  anywhere             anywhere              any ->
0:1023
REJECT     tcp  -y----  anywhere             anywhere              any ->
nfs
REJECT     udp  ------  anywhere             anywhere              any ->
0:1023
REJECT     udp  ------  anywhere             anywhere              any ->
nfs
REJECT     tcp  -y----  anywhere             anywhere              any ->
x11:6009
REJECT     tcp  -y----  anywhere             anywhere              any ->
xfs
Chain forward (policy ACCEPT):
target     prot opt     source                destination           ports
MASQ       all  ------  192.168.0.0/24       anywhere              n/a
Chain output (policy ACCEPT):
[root@server root]#

[root@server root]# iptables -L
/lib/modules/2.4.9-31/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: init_module:
Device or resource busy
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.4.9-31/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.9-31/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.9-31/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod
ip_tables failed
iptables v1.2.4: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do
you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
[root@server root]#

....and the rpcinfo:

[root@server root]# rpcinfo -p localhost
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100024    1   udp   1024  status
    100024    1   tcp   1024  status
    391002    2   tcp   1025  sgi_fam
    100011    1   udp    901  rquotad
    100011    2   udp    901  rquotad
    100011    1   tcp    904  rquotad
    100011    2   tcp    904  rquotad
    100005    1   udp   1027  mountd
    100005    1   tcp   1026  mountd
    100005    2   udp   1027  mountd
    100005    2   tcp   1026  mountd
    100005    3   udp   1027  mountd
    100005    3   tcp   1026  mountd
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
    100021    1   udp   1028  nlockmgr
    100021    3   udp   1028  nlockmgr
    100021    4   udp   1028  nlockmgr
[root@server root]#

David suggested:
Another thing you might check: `grep rpc.mountd /var/log/messages` will
show you NFS mount requests.  You should see either "refused mount
request from ...." or "authenticated mount request from ....".

The result:
[root@server root]# grep rpc.mountd /var/log/messages
Apr 21 09:40:41 server nfs: rpc.mountd startup succeeded
[root@server root]#

At home I have tried two other clients: Intel Celeron 850, 256 Mb realtek
8139 and 1000 Athlon, 768 Mb, realtek 8139. Still hangs at "Mounting..... I
have tried changing the graphics card in the server, and tried installing
without the firewall. Still the same problem

What is wrong? Could it be something related to the specific hardware in my
server?

Jørgen