Hi Craig,
I think consideration priority should probably be the server hardware, then
the network hardware, then the client hardware. Although my application is
no where near 500 clients, I would imagine that the priority is still the
same.

After first setting up LTSP with a handfull of workstations, I quickly found
that my server, with only 128 mb ram had become swamped.

Once I built a bigger, better server, we started adding more clients and
expanding the network. The majority of our network was switch. In our
efforts to save money, we expanded the network with plain 'ol hubs and added
a bunch of workstations, printers, etc to the hubs. Well, then we found that
all of the workstations that were plugged into hubs were lagging. Replacing
the hubs with switches solved that problem.

As for workstations, I use old pentium 75, 16 mb of ram, 3com 509 nics, and
4mb trident video. These cost me about 120 bucks complete with 15" monitor.
These work just fine. Sometimes hardware fails, but I keep a few extras
around ready to go so downtime is minimal if one fails. I dont run local
apps, so these have plenty of power. The key with the workstations is not so
much the power but the compatibility - nics, and video are the ones that can
give problems if unsupported. I do not know if wyse winterms work with ltsp
or not...there has been some discussion on this list so you might try
searching the archives.

Its hard to say how many servers you will need. It all depends on the
applications you will be running. We only use 3 applications on the
terminals - Opera for web, Adobe Acrobat for pdf view,  Sylpheed for email,
and xterm for telnet (for an app on another server). I do let a handful of
users use star office but it requires alot of ram so I limit who can run it.
Off the top of my head I cant remember how much ram star office uses per
workstation...I just remember that it is alot.

Hope this is helpful
Cheers,
rob