My suggestion would go something like this:
Server: Dual Athlon 2000+ with 3GB of DDR RAM and SCSI hard drives with a
1Gbps connection to your switch
Client: AMD Duron 600 with 32MB of RAM and a 100Mbps NIC
        However, depending on what how many things the users are doing, that may not
work if you are running programs server-side. A better suggestion would be:
Server: Dual Athlon 1800+ with 1GB of DDR RAM and IDE RAID with a 1Gbps
connection to your switch
Client: AMD Duron 800 with 128MB of RAM and a 100Mbps NIC running local-apps
        Overall, that would be much cheaper than running Windows XP with 1.5GHz
CPU's and 256MB of RAM and a large file server. Plus, if you only run
OpenOffice on the clients, then your server should be able to support all of
the clients if you use less user "friendly" apps (instead of using Mozilla
use Konqueror).
-Alex Y