On Sunday 21 April 2002 09:02 pm, Alex younts wrote:
>         My suggestion would go something like this:
> Server: Dual Athlon 2000+ with 3GB of DDR RAM and SCSI hard drives with a
>        1Gbps connection to your switch
> Client: AMD Duron 600 with 32MB of RAM and a 100Mbps NIC
>         However, depending on what how many things the users are doing,
> that may not work if you are running programs server-side. A better
> suggestion would be: Server: Dual Athlon 1800+ with 1GB of DDR RAM and IDE
> RAID with a 1Gbps connection to your switch
> Client: AMD Duron 800 with 128MB of RAM and a 100Mbps NIC running
> local-apps Overall, that would be much cheaper than running Windows XP with
> 1.5GHz CPU's and 256MB of RAM and a large file server. Plus, if you only
> run OpenOffice on the clients, then your server should be able to support
> all of the clients if you use less user "friendly" apps (instead of using
> Mozilla use Konqueror).

Durons on the client??? terrible waste of cpu power and money, what is the
use for a thin client then? Take old pc's my boy pentia or maybe even early
pentia 2 or K6's. And read what you write... he's talking about 500 clients.
Are you often opening 2500 or more apps on a computer with 3 gigs of ram? I
don't think so... He needs 8 gigs, preferably more (filesystem caching /home
and /usr directory stuff can mean a HUGE performance boost.) If you find a
socket A mobo suporting 3 gigs of ram that is. If only those people will all
be writing a letter or surfing the web, the cpu's would just be overloaded
and everything would be dead-slow. Athlons are OK for up to 50 clients, maybe
I'd try 100. But not in this case.

Frank

P.S. to the O.P. If this is finished, let me please know how this went in the
end. Wanna know all about it and have a success story for the non-believers.

--
homepage:       www.student.kuleuven.ac.be/~m9917684
jabber (=IM):   [EMAIL PROTECTED]