> Jim,
> On Saturday 29 June 2002 06:59 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >    If you don't get any output, then your display manager isn't
> >     running, or isn't configured.
>
> Would you please explain what to do in this case?  In your excellent
> documentation (which I carry everywhere with me as if it were a Bible!)
you
> mention this, and then proceed to explain what to do if the display
manager
> IS running!  But what do we do if it is NOT running?

Well, you run it.  As root: "gdm", for example.  The others may require
additional command-line parameters to run as a daemon (which is what you
want).  Man pages are your friend here.

If it's running but not properly configured, you just have to configure it
properly.  Read the man pages or else the docs (probably
/usr/share/doc/{gdm*,kdm*,xdm*}).
Gdm is nice in this respect because it has a nice window-based configurator
that can control pretty much every aspect of gdm without you having to touch
its config file.  I believe it's called gdmconfig or something like that.

> I changed video cards in my server a few days ago and now my display
manager
> doesn't start any more when I reboot.  I've tried reading the man pages to
> xdm and gdm but so far they aren't making any sense to me.
>
> I'm running RH 7.3.

Do you mean that you no longer boot to run level five (i.e. graphical
login), and did before, or that you never booted to runlevel five, but the
display manager would run in the background anyway, or that you always did
and still do boot to runlevel 5, but now you don't get a graphical login
(unlikely)?

In the first case, edit your /etc/inittab file to boot by default to
runlevel 5 (Redhat may have some nice window-based way of doing this), or
else simply switch to runlevel 5 after you boot with good ol' "init 5".  In
the middle case, add a "start" symlink in your /etc/rc.d/rc3.d directory to
the display manager service.  To be safe, have it numbered last.  Gnome (or
is it Kde?) has a window-based way of doing this (called "sysvinit
editor" or something like that), and RedHat probably has their own
window-based method, too.
To do any of this, you must be root.

In the latter case, something strange is going on with your inittab and/or
rc?.d directories, and I can't help you except by giving you the vague
advice that you fix this.  I can think of several things that could be
wrong, and narrowing it down to a nice checklist would take a long while.
And this case is unlikely anyway.
--
Francis Avila