If you are getting the gray screen, then it is likely 1 of 2 things.

1) the display manager (XDM,KDM,GDM) isn't running on the server, or
   isn't configured for remote workstations to connect.

   Try:  netstat -anp | grep ":177 "

   If you don't get any output, then your display manager isn't
    running, or isn't configured.

   If you do see some output, then see #2 below

2) In the lts.conf file, is a setting called 'SERVER'.  it is supposed
   to contain the IP address of your LTSP server.  If not there, it
   defaults to 192.168.0.254.  Maybe your server isn't at that address,
   or maybe you've got the wrong value for the SERVER parameter.

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]