> 8 hours seems a bit long to do a netboot....
>
> How can I speed this up?

Fix your network. This is telling you that you almost certainly have a
network problem. If you have a very busy hub, screaming nodes, a noisy
cable or anything else which might cause a high proportion of dropped
packets, TFTP backoff slows right down. Try connecting a known working
system and troubleshoot from there. Don't blame the net boot until you
*know* that the hardware works.

> Also: This is an ASUS TUSI-M mobo, with an SIS900 NIC chip.  I understand this
> board can boot using PXE.  Is this the right process to add PXE?

You do NOT want PXE if you can avoid it! It is what you use if there is
no alternative (i.e. you need to boot 'doze, flashing the nic is
impossible / impractical, or you suffer from a dumbass "management"
policy). Etherboot PXE images from rom-o-matic are "Network Bootable
Programs" to be booted by existing PXE firmware - they do not provide
PXE functionality (which BTW you really don't want if you can avoid it).

If you really must have PXE, the firmware is usually resident on the
NIC, which normally requires a BIOS setup incantation. Look at the LTSP
PXE howto for an explanation of how to get from PXE to etherboot.

If you don't need PXE, lucky you. Linux just needs Etherboot...

> 1) Copy BIOS image using AFLASH.EXE (and back it up).
> 2) Download PXE ROM image from ROM-O-MATIC
> 3) Use CBROM or AwardMod to add the PXE image to the original BIOS image
> 4) Use AFLASH.EXE to flash the board BIOS with the new BIOS image w/ PXE

...remove "PXE" from lines 2 and 4, and that's just what you need: just
pull an Etherboot rom image (not PXE, LILO or floppy) with your nic
driver built in and load it into your nice modular bios.

But fix your network problems first.