> >Absolutely possible. There are probably a dozen ways to accomplish this.
> >What I do is have all the clients boot and log into one server. From the
> main server, all of the small apps are ran. The second server acts merely as
> an application server for the big apps (namely open office). It also is a
> backup dhcp, tftp, ltsp server in case the Primary server crashes.
> >This approach requires setting up NIS and NFS as well as running some sync
> scripts (for conf files and such).
> I'>ve tried a few other approaches. So far, this approach has worked best
> for me - mileage may vary. It allows me to scale if necessary.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >-rob
>

> How exactly do you do this? How can you run OpenOffice from another server
> than the one your're logged in at?

I use SSHD running on server #2 and ssh client running on server #1. By issuing:
$ ssh server1 ooffice
from the workstation - which is really the same thing as being at server #1 - the
application from server #2 is fowarded to the workstation's display on server #1.

By creating a simple shell script and putting it in the user's menu, the user merely
'clicks' the menu option and the application starts...from the other server and it is
transparent to the user.

I believe that rsh can be used this way as well.

-rob