From: rob apodaca [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 1:53 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Ltsp-discuss] 2 or more LTSP servers?

> >Absolutely possible. There are probably a dozen ways to accomplish
this.
> >What I do is have all the clients boot and log into one server. From
the
> main server, all of the small apps are ran. The second server acts
merely as
> an application server for the big apps (namely open office). It also
is a
> backup dhcp, tftp, ltsp server in case the Primary server crashes.
> >This approach requires setting up NIS and NFS as well as running some
sync
> scripts (for conf files and such).
> I'>ve tried a few other approaches. So far, this approach has worked
best
> for me - mileage may vary. It allows me to scale if necessary.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >-rob
>

> How exactly do you do this? How can you run OpenOffice from another
server
> than the one your're logged in at?

I use SSHD running on server #2 and ssh client running on server #1. By
issuing:
$ ssh server1 ooffice
from the workstation - which is really the same thing as being at server
#1 - the application from server #2 is fowarded to the workstation's
display on server #1.

By creating a simple shell script and putting it in the user's menu, the
user merely 'clicks' the menu option and the application starts...from
the other server and it is transparent to the user.

I believe that rsh can be used this way as well.

-rob