I spent an hour and a half last week, speaking with the market
positioning/technical input direct report to the CEO of a high
volume engineering and marketing firm of thin units.

Beyond the expected:
  - slotted ram, more ram (one can never have too much)
  - moderate processor speed boost (to control the heat load)
  - Linux kernel ready chipsets
  - WoL / PXE onboard NIC

Bullet point hardware items for a new model I mentioned were:
  - a better than bottom of the barrel video chipset
  - well-engineered ventilation and heat budgetting
  - a couple of PC-Card slots
  - front panel USB port availability
  - possibly a No Moving Parts design option variant
  - designed in security mounting options

Dream suport of an i-button touch token
   http://www.ibutton.com/ibuttons/

With technical support of
  - USB storage device automount / syncing, as the persistent
removable store and interchange format.

Which would solve several issues I have been working with,  At
a high level:
  - authentication (AAA)
  - central account management
  - mobile persistent individual store