Thanks for the information Pete. Can you share with me how to do the system backup for ltsp servers (software etc)?

I really appreciate the help. Thanks.

Linda

     Peter Billson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Linda,
What do you mean by "system crash?" Are you talking about hardware failure or are you used to the 'World of Windows' where the OS tend to dribble on itself? In the world of Linux the 'dribble' problem doesn't exist but the hardware problem still does.
All servers will fail, it is just a matter of time.

The short answer is "Yes." You should *always* have a complete system backup and a recovery plan. The complexity of that plan is determined by the mission of the system:

- The disaster recovery plan for my personel PC is to curse loudly when it fails. :-)

- My 'mission critical' servers have hot backups running and ready to take over,
as well as are backed up to tape and the tapes are sent off site.

- My less critical servers are just backed up to tape

The key is to have a step-by-step written and *tested* recovery plan. You will
be surprised at the stumbling blocks you'll encounter when you try to test your
recovery plan. Better to get it right before you actually need it.

Of course you can reduce the likelyhood of a system failure with your choice
of servers. Picking one that runs RAID, has redundant power supplies, etc. will
reduce the odds of a complete system failure should something fail.

The beauty of LTSP is the server is the only machine you need to worry about.
If a workstation fails you just heave it and pull another one out of the closet. :-)

Pete
--
http://www.elbnet.com
ELB Internet Service, Inc.

> What are the contingency plans if the system crash (LINUX Red Hat 7.2 kernel 2.4.5 & LTSP kernel core 3.4)? Should we do a system backup etc?

Do you Yahoo!?
faith.yahoo.com