The LTSP startup scripts will attempt to build an appropriate XF86Config
file for each workstation based on the information you provide in
lts.conf. The simplest trick is to put XSERVER=auto under [Default] and
hoping that it works for all your workstations. If not, you may need to
specify a particular driver - e.g. XSERVER = XF86_S3 - or some other
parameters - e.g. X_COLOR_DEPTH = 16. The LTSP startup scripts will
build the workstations' XF86Config scripts appropriately. See
http://ltsp.org/documentation/ltsp-3.0-4-en.html#AEN1022

If all else fails, you can build your own XF86Config script and store it
on the server, and use lts.conf to force LTSP to use that instead of
building its own: XF86CONFIG_FILE = MyXFS86_Config_ws001.

One useful trick is to set RUNLEVEL = 3 for the workstation. This will
get you to a bash prompt. You can then /tmp/start_ws and see the error
messages if X dies.

John