John,

Yesterday I followed the instructions in the documentation you cited (please
note the XF86CONFIG_FILE line in my lts.conf file included in my response to
jam's request). In addition, I've stepped through all the checks in jam's
trouble-shooter titled "gray screen with large X cursor". And I've been
testing in runlevel 3.

I've installed LTSP in 2 separate ways and actually got further (ie, up to
the gray screen with large X cursor) the first time. Here's what I did. I
started with a system running Gentoo (v1.2). On first intalling LTSP I used
the *.tgz files of course but ran the install script for Red Hat which I
modified myself until it ran without any problems. This was ltsp-core 3.0.4.
I never could get past the gray screen with large X cursor with this install.

Then I learned of David Snopek's unofficial ebuild for LTSP on Gentoo
(http://www.pfm.ee/gentoo/) and I installed that successfully (being
ltsp-core 3.0.7) but over the previous installation. And that's where the
system is at this point.