Dear list members,
I have two questions
Recently my LTSP servers have been exhibiting some worrying signs. The load
average has been soaring, sometimes with only a few users and there has been
no indication in 'top' of any runaway processes. Indeed most of the time the
cpu has been shown to be over 90% idle and no swap is being used. Can anyone
suggest what is going wrong? It mostly happens when browsers are being used
to surf the net, but I can't pinpoint any particular one as being the
culprit. We have recently changed to broadband, could this have anything to
do with it?

Next is, I think , a filesystem problem.
This has also recently started to happen. I have a single /home server from
which my LTSP servers mount /home at boot via NFS. At various times this
directory does not allow the creation of new directories which can
sometimes(not always) be cured by deleting a directory but then many more
than one may be created after this. Individual student directories have
randomly become unwritable, for instance during the set up of a new version
of OpenOffice (after the deletion of previous OO directories). All the
permissions are  set correctly, and the /home server is running RedHat 7.2.
Using ssh to connect to the /home server and running commands directly on it
does not solve the problem. Is there any logical explanation for this
seemingly illogical behaviour.

regards
garry saddington