On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:14:17 +0000
garry saddington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear list members,
> I have two questions
> Recently my LTSP servers have been exhibiting some worrying signs. The load
> average has been soaring, sometimes with only a few users and there has been
> no indication in 'top' of any runaway processes. Indeed most of the time the
> cpu has been shown to be over 90% idle and no swap is being used. Can anyone
> suggest what is going wrong? It mostly happens when browsers are being used
> to surf the net, but I can't pinpoint any particular one as being the
> culprit. We have recently changed to broadband, could this have anything to
> do with it?
>
> Next is, I think , a filesystem problem.
> This has also recently started to happen. I have a single /home server from
> which my LTSP servers mount /home at boot via NFS. At various times this
> directory does not allow the creation of new directories which can
> sometimes(not always) be cured by deleting a directory but then many more
> than one may be created after this. Individual student directories have
> randomly become unwritable, for instance during the set up of a new version
> of OpenOffice (after the deletion of previous OO directories). All the
> permissions are  set correctly, and the /home server is running RedHat 7.2.
> Using ssh to connect to the /home server and running commands directly on it
> does not solve the problem. Is there any logical explanation for this
> seemingly illogical behaviour.
>
> regards
> garry saddington

Garry,
If somethings eating cpu cycles you should be able to tell what process
it is?
If you suspect file system problems, What's the result of "df"
or it sounds more like your running out of inodes, try "df -i" and
take a look. You could have lots of space left, but if you running
low on inodes it would exhibit those kinds of problems, Just a guess.
Ken