hold on a sec, have you verified that the esd daemon and xmms can be started
properly on the server?  you also mentioned that at runlevel 3, it says it
can accept sound at port 16001, which is good.  could you just check if the
client's sound card is properly recognized?  our previous setup indicated
the same thing, but it didn't actually indicate that everything was ok.  the
working setup flashes these during bootup:

        <snipped>
        Intel 810 + AC97 audio, version 0.21, 00:23:13 Aug 3 2002
        i810: SiS 7012 found at IO 0xa400 and 0xa800, IRQ 3
        i810_audio:  Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
        ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x414c:0x4710 (ALC200/200P)
        i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0 supports AMAP, total channels = 2
        Running Sound Server
        accepting connections on port 16001
        <snipped>

you could try lsmod at the bash prompt, which should return something like
this:

        bash-2.05# lsmod
        Module          Size            Used by
        i810_audio              20720           1
        ac97_codec               9696           0 [i810_audio]
        soundcore                3280           2 [i810_audio]
        3c59x                   24424           1

btw, my configuration is running on redhat 9 ltsp 3, and i didn't have to
add any of the symlinks you mentioned.  my lts.conf looks like this:
        <snipped>
        AUDIOSERVER             =       client hostname:16001
        SOUND                   =       Y
        SOUND_DAEMON    =       esd
        SMODULE_01              =       soundcore
        SMODULE_02              =       i810_audio
        <snipped>

i'll double-check my config and wait for your reply.  at any rate, maybe
others on this list could help you more because i'm hardly an expert at
thisU.

-marga