Tom Schouteden wrote:

>>>hmm, How comes it won't get me the session persistence? it's basically a
>>>vncclient isn't it?  although the F8 key might not really be working.
>>>i'm still trying to figure it out.
>>
>>What distro of Linux are you running it on?
>

> I'm running Red Hat 9, with Ximian Desktop 2 on it.

Hmm.  Couldn't get LTSP running on RH 9 the last time I played with it,
so I switched to Debian.  :D

>>>I know .. but it's not really working for me.  I'll have to take a
>>>closer look at it.  The config files seem to be a bit dated sometimesm
>>>but that's probably me.  I already have it working for a single user
>>
>>No, they're dated!  :)
>

> Okay, I see.  So perhaps it's better for me to manual update the
> existing XSession file with your changes.

Yep.

>>>(when i put fixed display numbers in the config file) but when I log out
>>>it doesn't really log out all the way, it just closes all gnome items
>>>and leaves me with the background.  Furthermore when I disconnect and

Also sounds like you may not have the correct display number in the
'vncserver -kill :<displaynumber>' line in your ~/.vnc/xstartup file.
Obviously, the display numbers need to match.  I.e., the number your
Xvnc session is running on needs to match the kill line in your xstartup
file.

>>>reconnect it starts a new Xvnc every time.  So if I do that a couple of
>>
>>Hmm.  Seems that the script may not be picking up on the fact that a VNC
>>session is already running.  That was one of the areas that I really
>>needed to improve the scripts in to be able to detect an already running
>>Xvnc session and match it with the one the user started and wants to
>>reconnect to, etc.
>

> Are there any development plans for the scripts?  Are you still using
> them yourself?

Nope.  No development plans, since they really need to be completely
rewritten.  I still use VNC extensively at work for my session, but we
currently don't run thin clients at the office anymore.  However, I am
running this workstation on Knoppix and VNC'ing to the application
server from it.  :)

>>>times I end up having a lot of Xvnc's in my process list.  Lastly I
>>>didn't manage to get your ident config's converted to xinetd config
>>>files.
>>
>>That's OK.  For what you are using the scripts for, you don't even need
>>to mess with setting up any of the (x)inetd stuff.  All you need is the
>>Xsession and vncserver scripts.
>

> Yeah, but I thought it would be nice if I could get the inetd stuff
> working as well.  That way I could access my session with a webbrowser
> as well .. using the java vnc http thing.  That way, I would be able to
> take my desktop everywhere.  Kinda like the workspot.com thingy mixed up
> with ltsp.

You can already do that now.  All you have to know is the display number
of your session which can be retrieved from ~/.vnc/vncdisplaynumber.
Then point your browser at <vnc server ip>:5801 (if your display is on
:1, for example).  However, you will (hopefully, most likely) be going
through a firewall, so you will need to port forward that port or proxy
it in some way or tunnel it through SSH or SSL (via stunnel, zebedee), etc.

>>>it's probably me who is unable to figure things out :)
>>>Are there any plans to included your vnc-x-session patches in a
>>>forthcoming LTSP release?
>>
>>Nope.  If we did, we would probably move to a completely different way
>>of doing it (which my boss has already scripted and is using on his
>>laptop to run persistant sessions locally, not in a thin client
>>environment, but the outcome is pretty much the same).
>

> Would it be easier to use your boss's vncquick scripts and try to modify
> them for ltsp usage?

Probably, yes.  It should definitely be more beneficial, especially as
they seem to work better than my scripts did.

- --
Jason A. Pattie
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

believed to be clean.