Because everything else sucks --- just kidding.
I like and use many languages, and I pick the one best suited to the
task at hand.
In this case it was Pascal, I am a contributing member of the FreePascal
developement team - I would not be if I did not think it was a great
language (I have a lot of respect for Wirth)

The database's (as it says in the FAQ section of the FM you apparently
forgot to R) are binary-flat-file - which for the task at hand is the
only solution that is not an overkilling waste of resources.

Since I am the developer, and you got it for nothing, you can contribute
if you want -or write your own. I made judgement calls during design,
and while I am always open to criticism, I think it is rather harsh to
judge me on the grounds that you dissagree with them.
Over 4000 people have downloaded DC according to freshmeat, I think that
speaks for itself.

A.J.

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 21:32, Mark Ehle wrote:
> Thanks, Anselm -
>
> I did look at /etc/passwd. I don't think that these users came from the
> system. I think that direqcafe put them in to it's database as I was
> screwing around with it before I got it working right. It would appear
> that there is no way to delete them from the web interface.
>
> Where is the database file, and in what format?
> This software looks like a great start, but why in the word did he write
> it in pascal? Guess that there's one more language I have to learn now!
>
> Thanks -
>
> Mark
>
> On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 16:24, Anselm Martin Hoffmeister wrote:
> > Hello Mark,
> >
> > > I have a few users that showed up when I was playing with the package
> > > that are not on my system. They are 55, 1, 15, and 0. How do I get rid
> > > of these critters?
> >
> > Dunno about direqcafe, but that probably are system processes. 0 means
> > root, 50 might be the user "apache" runs as, "www-data", "http" or
> > what it is named in your distribution. Look into /etc/passwd to find out
> > name<->number mappings. Perhaps direqcafe has a "systemusers" config value
> > that allows to hide all uids below 100, or 500, or so? IIRC most
> > distributions create new "regular" users with uid >= 500.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >  Anselm Martin Hoffmeister
> >  Stockholm Projekt Computer-Service
> >  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Do not try to think outside the box. That's impossible.
Instead only try to realise the truth....There is no box.

A.J. Venter
Tech Guru
DireqLearn.