Anselm Martin Hoffmeister wrote:

Hello Julio, Les,

When my workstation gets de ip from dhcp e attempts to load the kernel i
get some dots (5) e then stops . It seems like timeout . what do i have to do ?
Could somebody help-me ?

Looks like your tftp server is not running. Check if a tftp server is
installed. If you use xinetd, check that there is no line with
"disable=yes" in /etc/xinetd.d/tftp (or change it to "disable=no").
Check that there is no firewall blocking udp port 69 (iptables -L will
tell you about firewall rules).

To be somehow more verbose: Is there a tftp server running? Test with netstat -l -n -p | grep 69 should list a process with port number :69, udp which would be your tftp server. If it's not present, you don't have a tftp server running. Get one installed (that depends on your distribution) and - if you use inetd - put it inside /etc/inetd.conf like this tftp dgram udp wait nobody /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.tftpd -s /boot/tftp You would have to adapt the binarie's paths which are from my local server. Then do a killall -HUP inetd to restart inetd. If you use xinetd, make sure there is a file /etc/xinetd.d/tftp - I cannot provide it's content as I don't use it here. It has a line with "disable" - see above. In doubt change and restart xinetd. (man xinetd could give your more information). If you still have the problem and tftp is now running (use the netstat- command from above), check if there is a firewall rule. If iptables -L -n lists anything that blocks tftp (could be that somewhere in a REJECT line the 69 appears...) then you should probably adjust the firewall. Too complicated to explain in general. You could - to verify that tftp daemon is running - try to retrieve the file locally. CHange to /tmp and issue tftp connect localhost get /the-filename-from-dhcpdconf quit If this succeded, then at least the daemon runs.

If all this didn't change anything, you probably need to provide us with more information. Helpful would be - any next-server and filename statements from dhcpd.conf, in their context (inside which host-statement or so they are) - the iptables -L -n output - the netstat -l -n -p | grep 69 output - wether local tftp test (as above) works or not

Best regards,
Anselm Martin Hoffmeister
Stockholm Projekt Computer-Service
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

My problem was because i also have a win2k dhcp server . when i use it everything works fine but i had to make a symbolik link (/opt/ltsp/i386000)
thanks