On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Timothy Frye wrote:
> Has anyone gotten better performance or got around a performance issue by
> using openmosix with a few other servers or perhaps on all of the clients?
> Just a thought I had and wondered if anyone else had done that.

Tim,
        funny you should mention mosix. i've talked about it briefly with
Eric Harrison at Linuxworld, and he suggested that multiple servers
working with "-broadcast" option instead of server address or "-inirect"
should work better than mosix cluster for running multiple clients. after
doing some back-of-the-envelope calculations, i'm inclined to agree, where
there are more than 3 servers. at 2 servers, the "error" rate at
statistical load can get really high, so you *may* end up with one server
overloaded and another not loaded at all. the more servers, the better the
statistical load distribution. in other words, as long as you divvy up you
network for bandwidth, you can just keep adding servers and the clients
will hit the least heavily loaded one with very high probability. this is
where i'm going, even if in informal tests the load tends to be 70 / 30 on
2 equivalent servers. good luck, julius